Monday 3 September 2012

Couch to 5k

Couch to 5k is an NHS programme that can be found here: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The basic idea is that you download aa sequence of free podcasts and they bring you up gradually from running 1 minute at a time to running for a full 30 minutes - in which time they estimate you can run about 5 kilometres.

Having recently had a baby, with a holiday on the horizon and as I was coming up to a big birthday I decided that now was the time to make a concerted effort to 'get fit'. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping to lose a bit of weight too, but mainly I want my 30s to be running around playing with the boys - not sitting on a park bench puffed out watching from the sidelines.

I found the first week a killer - crazy as it was only a light jog for a minute at a time, up to a total of 8 minutes. I felt pathetic and almost lost the faith. However, I got through week 2 and then week 3 (albeit with some pesky joint pain which I had to see the doctor about). I've just finished week 4 where you run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds then run for 5 minutes, walk for 2 and a half, and I have to admit I feel fantastic!

Or... I FELT fantastic - that is until I stacked it 3 times in a row tripping over my shoe lace (I know, I know - the 2 year old is supposed to do that, not me!) resulting in some nasty grazes on various parts of me. I've taken a break for a few days to heal up but I'm hoping to jump straight in with week 5, run one. I think this is where things really start to go up a notch. I'm determined though. I really enjoyed racing around the park playing with Harry today, it's so refreshing after recently being heavily pregnant! I fully intend to commit to this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment